MJA Code of Ethics and Standards
Members of the Midwest Jewelers Association are dedicated and committed to maintaining the highest standards of honesty, fairness, professionalism and services. Our Code of Ethics serves to educate, inspire and unite our members, and form the basis for specific Rules of Professional conduct by which all members have agreed to abide.
Code of Ethics:
- To strive to be good corporate citizens and to contribute to the communities in which they do business when formulating corporate policies and management decisions.
- To strive to improve professionalism and expertise, as individuals and as an organization, at all times.
- To conduct business with honesty, sincerity, truthfulness and integrity at all times.
- To understand the importance of keeping promises and fulfillment of commitments to all parties.
- To comply with the letter and intent of all applicable laws, and, at all times, show respect for the property of others.
- To advise and deal with every customer, in regard to each transaction, as they would wish to be advised and dealt with, were they the customer.
Midwest Jewelers Association Members…
- Will strive to protect the industry and inform clients against fraud, misrepresentation, and unethical business practices.
- Will adhere to all federal, state and local laws, including all Federal Trade Commission Guidelines and Bureau of Standard Definitions, as they apply to the jewelry industry.
- Shall not make statements about a competitor or another member of the industry, or about the competitor’s or member’s reputation, merchandise or business practices which that member knows to be false, misleading, disparaging or defamatory. Nor shall a member make statements with malice or reckless disregard for whether they are false, misleading, disparaging or defamatory. A member may however, truthfully state his or her opinion, whether asked or not, but should fully set forth the basics for this opinion.
- Shall not intentionally misrepresent merchandise as to its nature, authenticity, and/or origin.
- Will not engage in any illegal, unethical, false, misleading or deceptive business practices designed to come within the letter of the law but have the effect of deceiving clients or purchasers.
- Will follow advertising and selling practices that are in compliance with the rules and guidelines set forth by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Will clearly and conspicuously disclose the basis for claims made in advertising or promotion that offer comparative prices or savings, and will be prepared and willing voluntarily to substantiate their claims to a neutral party, if challenged.
- Will fulfill all conditions of their guarantee or service policies, as represented to their customers.
- Will act in accordance with the spirit and letter of the Code of Ethics and Rules of Professional Conduct and Business Practices at all times.